The Institute of Certified Bookkeepers was established in 1931. Its role is to improve and maintain the quality, credibility and reputation of bookkeeping, accounting, office administration and financial management training and qualifications in Southern Africa.
As a Quality Assurance Partner (QAP) of the Sector Education and Training Authority for Finance, Accounting, Management Consulting and other Financial Services (FASSET), the ICB is an external assessment (examining) body for many of the business qualifications that FASSET awards.
ICB graduates are recognised worldwide by the International Association of Bookkeepers, the Southern African Institute of Business Accountants, the South African Institute of Tax Practitioners, the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
If you graduate through the ICB’s Accounting Programme you can study further to become a chartered certified accountant through the ACCA or become a management accountant through the CIMA.
The ICB has close links with the South African Institute of Tax Practitioners (SAIT), which looks after the interests of tax practitioners and specialists. If you’re an appropriately qualified ICB graduate, you may register with the Southern African Institute of Business Accountants (SAIBA) as an accounting officer for close corporations.
ICB qualification levels:
- National Certificate: Bookkeeping NQF level 3 - SAQA ID 58375
- FET Certificate: Bookkeeping NQF level 4 - SAQA ID 58376
- National Diploma: Technical Financial Accounting NQF level 5 - SAQA ID 36213
- National Diploma: Financial Accounting NQF level 6 - SAQA ID 20366
- National Certificate: Public Sector Accounting NQF level 4 - SAQA ID 20352
- Diploma: Public Sector Accounting NQF level 5 - SAQA ID 20353
- National Certificate: Small Business Financial Management NQF level 4 - SAQA ID 48736
- Certificate: Office Administration NQF level 5 - SAQA ID 23618
- Higher Certificate: Office Administration NQF level 5 - SAQA ID 23619
- Diploma: Office Administration NQF level 6 -SAQA ID 35958
To learn more about ICB qualifications, Please follow this link below: